Monday, 28 May 2012

A Lovely weekend
































































Had a rare weekend off and took advantage of the time doing as much as I could in few days with my Dad who was down for a southern break! I am glad the sun held out!


 Went to the British Design exhibition at the V and A - wonderful! I particularly liked the design of the 1940's/50's featuring all my favourites - John Piper, Edward Bawden, Abram Games etc. Then returned for Friday lates to listen to Emma Bridgewater and Matthew Rice discuss their career making china for Emma Bridgewater. Visited the St Judes in the city exhibition - lovely to see the new prints and collages I hadn't seen by Angie Lewin, Emily Sutton and Mark Hearld - and great to see it all in a new venue- I have been many a time to the little gallery in Itteringham! Had a saturday market day in East London, trialling food and buying treats along the way. Was EXTREMELY pleased to come across this Barbara Jones (I think my favourite illustrator...) book discussing 'This or That' as well as a Puffin picture book to add to my collection - this one beautifully illustrated by Clarke Hutton. Then had a little wander around Little Venice, admiring the rooftoop gardens on the canal boats and not admiring the very grotty canal water! Revisited the BRAINS exhibition at the Wellcome Collection (EVERY exhibition there is perfectly executed with a brilliant level of design alongside an intriguing subject matter) - particularly interesting this time having just finished 'The underground Man' by Mick Jackson. (A Brilliant book if you have ever heard the story of Duke William John Cavendish-Bentinck-Scott!)  If you have read this and you are in London - have a look at the trepanning kit in the exhibition! After a lot of culture, spent Sunday eating cake and looking at pictures at April and Tim's open house and lying on Brighton beach with a cold beer with Rosie. (who incidently has updated her website - it is looking LOVELY)

2 comments:

Frances said...

Hello from New York. I found my way here, after seeing your work featured in the Spitalfields Life post.

What a talented lady you are! I very much like your style and the subjects to which you've been applying it. Best wishes for continued success.

emily sutton said...

Hi Alice,
Great work- have been enjoying seeing it at Hornseys in Ripon and saw your print at the V and A shop when I was there last week. Glad you enjoyed the St Judes exhibition and sorry to have missed you. Emily S.