Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Rose Wylie






I recently came across the work of this artist after recently having to do some research about the Hastings Jerwood Gallery where she exhibited. I won't attempt to write an intelligent and compelling discussion about her art but here is an interesting article to read and in 2010 Germain Greer named her as the hot new artist to watch - I should point out that Rose Wylie is now 77. Anyway, here are some photos of her wonderful work - it has a really great stylised, naive and illustrative feel to it, and although it looks like it could be a tiny editorial illustration, they are actually huge canvas paintings- it kind of reminds me of Chris Johanson's unsophisticated, colourful and intriguing paintings which I also love. Images from http://poulwebb.blogspot.co.uk/


No comments: