Sunday, 17 March 2013

Black Eyes and Lemonade



Was extremely excited to finally get down to 'Black Eyes and Lemonade' at the Whitechapel gallery today (it has only been open a week but all the same...) - a lot smaller than I had hoped but a delight none the less - with interesting correspondence about the organisation of the original 1951 exhibition, the original drafts for the iconic advertising poster, a selection of Barbara Jone's illustrated books, very few items from the original show ( but including a fireplace shaped like an airedale terrier = brilliant!) and lots of photos of the original show - which made me all the more envious that I was born far too late to have been lucky enough to go! Although small I would highly recommend to any Barbara Jone's fans or anyone with a general interest in folk/popular art - there is some good events associated with the exhibition so I will be making several trips back for sure!
(talking lemon head sadly was not there!)

No comments: