Monday, 5 September 2016

An Animal ABC - inspiration

















As my book 'An Animal ABC' is due to be published in the next month - I thought I'd give a little insight into how it came into being.

An Animal ABC began life in a quiet spell at the beginning of a new year (tends to be the same every year as a freelance illustrator!). 
After a year of being swamped with much more commercial commissions and being tied to quite strict briefs I wanted to be able to just spend some time enjoying drawing, for the sake of drawing. 
I chose quite quickly on to work with a limited colour palette (as I usually do) of just 4 colours across the full 26 prints within the ABC - taking inspiration from some of my favourite lithographed childrens books of the 1940s and beyond; The Puffin Picture Books by artists like Edward Bawden, Sheila Robinson and Enid Marx to name a few, as well as looking at some of my favourite alphabets (Eric Ravilious, Enid Marx, Brian Wildsmith, Clarke Hutton...) and revisiting ephemeral finds in my scrapbooks.

No comments: